Fred Baxter

Monday, February 4, 2013

Cheryl writes about her her great great grandfather Fred Baxter...

Thank you for responding so quickly.  I was in a hurry this morning when I sent you the information on my great great grandfather Fred Baxter because I was late for work. But I just started doing a little research on Fred and when searching for his regiment/squadron I found your website.  What a neat site!  I'm going to spend some more time today reading about the 604th.  If your interested in more information on Fred (birth, death, parents, children) I can send you that also.

I decided I needed to send a request for his files to the National Archives in St. Louis but needed more information to fill out the request.  That is what started my investigation into Fred Baxter.  Discovered I know nothing about World War I!  So as I was looking for something to read before going to bed last night I discovered I have an article in an "American Heritage" magazine about The Battle of Argonne.  What an awful experience that must have been for our grandfathers!  The article says it was the worst battle in American history.  The little biography I found on Fred correlates with this article.  The American soldiers, 600,000 of them, were thrown into this huge battle with little or no training in 1918.  Fred enlisted in May, overseas in Aug, and was injured by Nov., all in one year, 1918.  But he was one of the lucky ones to survive this ordeal.  I know this is all stuff you already know, but I guess I just felt the need to let you know that I am also inspired by our grandfather's bravery and service to our country.
By the way, I forgot to send you the source for the picture and article I sent you on Fred Baxter.  I don't know if I am citing the source correctly, you can correct it any way you feel the need.

Title:  Williamson County Illinois in the World War 1917-1918
Author:  Hal W. Trovillion
Publisher:  The Williamson County War History Society
Publisher Location:  Marion, Herrin, Johnston City, Carterville, Hurst, Creal Springs, Williamson County, Illinois
Publisher Date:  1919
Call Number:  977.3993 B16w
Repository:  Internet Archive

Pages:  156 & 157

1 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

I received your email about your new blog. Love it! And Thank You so much for posting about my Great Grandpa Fred Baxter! Keep up the great work!
Cheryl

Post a Comment